Mar 11, 2008

Our First Full Day - Tuesday

We are truly in the Washington- It rained almost all day! Students experienced the small drip sound of water falling into the trees and then making its way to the ground. Rain in the forest sure sounds different!

Breakfast this morning was pancakes, turkey sausage, cereal, and fruit. Most students ate well in preparation for their day on the trails.

For many groups today the topic was "the story of..." trees, rain, the lake, soil... Students are beginning to put together a big picture of OPI and the surrounding environment. For example, did you know that it rains over 200 inches per year just a few miles in one directions, and less than 14 in another? Did you know that the inside of a tree is actually dead?

Although it was rainy, some students were able to get out into canoes today. OPI recently installed a dock which make embarking on a paddle much easier. Some groups visited Marymere Falls, a 1.5 mile hike into Olympic National Park. Other students experienced the microscope lab, the skins and skulls lab (did you know a dolphin's spine comes out the back of the head, not the bottom!), and the wondrous environment.

Mr. Richards stopped by and dropped off some supplies and letters. He was able to see many of the students before he left.

Dinner was a burrito feast! Yum! custom made, healthy, and fulfilling burritos made everyone happy. After dinner, the evening program...Night Hike!

This is a trust and confidence building exercise with a healthy dose of learning. IT takes a long time for eyes to adjust to the darkness, but once they do, students are amazed by what they can notice in the "dark" forest. No flashlights are allowed while teams navigate the trails in the camp.

Tomorrow we are expecting a visit from Ms. Lee. About half the students are going on the field trip (yes, a field trip within a field trip!) to Dungeness Spit. Some students will be conducting investigations to gather data to compare OPI with the unique environment there. Still others will canoe, hike, and use the classrooms! Another busy day, plus, the weather is supposed to get better!


Click on the slideshow for full size photos:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany & Victoria Armstrong,
Well Brittany it's nice to see you in the slide show. Sound's like eveyone is having a great time. Cause the slideshow shows it. Opi look's beautiful. Kinda remind's me a little like sastop. Did you get up on time this morning cause at 6:30 this moring mommy looked at the clock and I thought of you. Cause you are soooooo hard to get out of bed in the moring.Victoria how are you. I know you don't like to be cold. Are you doing o.k. with cold weather. Hopefully the weather will get better for you.Did you get my letters from Mr.Richards.Well you two twins mommy loves you both. P.S. Logan misses you a little :0) love mom

Anonymous said...

Jazzy...it looks wet! I am glad to see you wearing your hat and warm coat in the background of the pictures! Hope you all get a ton of sun tomorrow and look forward to hearing what your group has been doing! Hope your feet are dry and missing you a ton! Osh Kosh keeps asking for you and I think will be pretty happy to see you on Friday! ME TOO! Looking forward to tomorrows blog pics and how is the bead count going? Love you Mum.

Teri Fornwalt said...

Hi Buddy!
Looks like you guys are having a blast! Do you have dry shoes yet? :) The pictures are awesome - tell Mr. Darragh THANK YOU! Hope you like Dungeness Spit - Daddy has always wanted to go there! I love you and miss you a lot! Good night!
Mom

Mr. Richards said...

It was SOOOOO fun to see you all and eat lunch with you today! It makes me wish I could stay. Thanks for posing for silly pictures, sharing stories, telling me about elk droppings, and sharing face paint with me! You're a great group of kids, and you make us at Sidney Glen proud! Make sure you keep showing your best manners to your teachers, chaperones, and the OPI staff.
Miss you!
-Mr. Richards

Anonymous said...

Hey Peanut Butter, I mean Patrick. I know, I know . . . I can't help it. Hope your having fun. Wish I could be there with you! I guess you better call me when you get back and tell me all about it. You know your big sister misses you!

xoxo,
Kelly

P.S. Carlos says "Hola!" and "Have fun!"

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to get there today! I am bringing more rain gear for those who need it.
Looking forward to a fun-filled day!
Ms. Lee

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick and the rest of the 6th graders! Looks like you guys are having a great time, Wish I could be there with you. Patrick, Grandma comes in today and we are going over to Idaho in the morning (Thursday). We'll be back on Friday and can't wait to see you. Everybody, Keep having fun and make sure and be on your best behavior. Love, Mom aka Mrs. Courchene

Anonymous said...

Ben,

You probably don't remember it but Mommy carried you on her back up the trail to Marymere Falls when you were just a baby. What a beautiful place. I miss Washington and I miss you even more.

Lots of Love.....Grandma Helen from Maine

Anonymous said...

Jesse,
Have a great day! I am sending a letter with Mrs. Lee.
Love you lots!
Love Mom :0)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kalyn N Kasey Roberts; Kasey I sent a note earlier but you know how computer dumb your Gma is so I'll send another one. I saw your picture in your funny costume but I haven't seen Kalyn yet. It looks like you guys are haven a great time. We are excited about you coming back N telling us all about it. Keep havin a good time. See you guys on Friday.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kasey and Kalyn, it looks like you guys are having a great time, I was so surprised you guys were there, I wish I could go haha.
You guys have fun, oh dont forget to read something. Hope its not raining alot. Well, have lots of fun, I am jealous haha.
Loves you berry much grandma Val