Mar 12, 2008

Wowzer Wednesday

Here we are - halfway through the week. Today was awesome! Students ate a great breakfast of scrambled eggs, biscuits, cereal, and fruit. They packed up for the day and were off on another adventure!  We had a visit from Ms. Lee who brought out some letters and much needed rain gear - Thanks!

Half of the kids went to Dungeness Spit, about 1 hour away. The weather was dry and overcast - perfect for a great day. At the park groups payed some great games and continued research for projects. The goal is to learn the story of something. One group did research to answer the question, "Is this an old growth forest?" they divided an area into quadrants and counted downed wood, undergrowth, large trees and small trees.

Another group headed straight to the spit (the longest sand spit in the world!). The checked out the cool driftwood, the enormous stretch of sand, and Vancouver Island, across the Straight of Juan de Fuca. More soil sampling, a bit of beach art, and checking out the layers of sedimentary rock. Awesome!

Back at OPI, the other half of students continued exploring the environment and gathering data to help tell the story of Barnes Point. Some canoed across to the other side of the lake, others hiked up to Marymere Falls, just 1.5 miles into Olympic National Park.

After a long and engaging day we had a great pizza dinner. Students worked on their journals, cleaned cabins, and got ready for a cabin presentation/contest tonight. Students who finished were invited to play in a flag football game. All students had excellent sportsmanship and a good time was had by all.

An amazing evening program presented by geologist John Cornish followed. He is a dynamic speaker, and really excited and encouraged kids to be excited by their passion for something. Don't be surprised if your kid asks for help finding meteorites in your gutters!

Students who went to Dungeness Spit will stay at OPI tomorrow, while the others will head out to the spit. Our final full day will be busy!

Thanks for all the comments!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesse,
Oh my gosh you guys are packing so much in such a short time. I can't wait to hear of your adventures. Did you get the letter I sent with Mrs. Lee? I love you and miss you so much. Oh and they sucked blood out of your brother today at the Dr. They think he may have an infection in his kidney or liver or something...oh great. Maya is bedded down in my closet she might not make it until you get home. She kept jumping on your bed I am sure she is wondering where you are.
Love you and can't wait to see you....oh and you better be taking lots of pics!
Love Mom :0)

Anonymous said...

JASMINE PORTER! (think BIG THUNDERING VOICE) WHY are you NOT wearing your jacket?! I see why you have not called home because the WRATH OF MOTHER will be upon you! NOW STAY WARM! OK…now onto how the rest of things are going….I hope you are taking a ton of pictures and still have my necklace! :-) I showed Josh the blog today and he saw a picture of you and in the cutest voice said
“ There is MY GIRL!” and then wanted to know why you were there and not here and wanted us to come get you….I explained you were a little far away…but I MAY just show up there if I see you are not wearing your warm clothes AGAIN! Dun dun dunnnnnnnnn! I so miss you! Luv Mum, Josh, Nelli and Dad in Hawaii too!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Eaton or Mr. Darragh,
Is there any way you could please have Forest call home? (I forgot to send a calling card.) I will reimburse you on Friday.
Thank you,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

WOW, Sam K you must be having a great time. Everything is OK here, although it is pretty quiet without you, I miss your smail!
Love ya MOM, DAD and the tribe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mekenzie and Tyler and Lori! We all miss you guys and are looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you come home. :) Be sure to take lots of pictures-it looks beautiful, despite the rain. Everything at home is fine. Stay warm and dry!!
Love,
Mom/Kim

Anonymous said...

To Maison, Gabby, Morgan, Dahlton, Forest, Justin, Lanaki and of course Ben,

Awana was really quiet in the 5th/6th grade rooms tonight. I really missed all of you. I am working at your school on Monday. Please come out to IMA and tell me all about your adventures.

Miss Theresa, aka Mrs. Johnson aka Ben's Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryley! We all miss you soooo much. Sounds like a great time,the weather has turned out better than predicted. Enjoy every minute with your buds...Tye, Isaiah, Davin and the rest...thank you Lori for being up there, you are a rock...:) See you all soon. With love,
The Callaghan's.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dakota, We read the blog everyday and excitedly look for any pictures of you. We didn't see any today. We really miss you!!!!!! Please call home so we can talk to you! Dad is going crazy (so am I really)he hasn't had you and last night he didn't have nub-nub either cause they went to the vet to get fixed. They are home now and doing well, tired but well. I am glad to see that you are doing so well and having so much fun!! Please call we really miss you. I mailed you a letter today. I tried to get it to Mrs. Lee but I didn't make it in time. I hope you get it. Ask them if it doesn't come in time to please send it to the school or back to the house. I can't wait to see you!!

We Love You! Mom, Pops, Taira, Courtney, Ling-Ling, Lucky

Anonymous said...

Hey Coda Bear,

I miss you and I am glad you are having a good time!! I can't wait to see you! Call if you can! I think I am going to come with Mom to pick you up on Friday.

Love ya, Poppa Bear

Anonymous said...

Victoria & Brittany,
Thank you Mr.Darragh for the amazing slideshows. I look forward every night to see what happen for the day. Victoria I saw you in the slideshow today look's like you having load's of fun. Hope you are staying warm? I know you get cold easy. I hope you've been practicing dance. Remeber Manhattan Dance Project this weekend. Opi look's amazing I wish my sixth grade went to opi instead of where we went. Oh and I see you got one of you're favorite food tonight. Brittany mom does miss you ton's even though you drive me crazy at time's. Sheila told me to tell you Hi! Love mom,dad,logan,janelle,cleo,petey

Anonymous said...

Brittany & Victoria,
Brittany, Papa can't wait to hear all about opi. And he want's to know what you have learned from camp. Papa is going up to Sastop this weekend. Brittany nanny can't wait to play the wii at her house, when you get back. Victoria papa want's to hear about opi when you get back. Victoria nanny is happy her hiking boot's are working out for you. Both of us look forward to seeing you soon. Brittany you are staying with nanny this weekend. Love nanny & papa & woody

Anonymous said...

Fornwalt's Mark & Austin,
Mr.Mark I saw you in the slideshow today. Look's like an amazing trip. Been having coffee in the moring with Teri. Austin,Janelle missed seeing you at you're house. And Austin I saw your snake on Tuesday. Pretty cool! Both of you keep warm. Love friends Tonya and Janelle =0)

UncleMarkandAuntieCar said...

Hey Brittany and Victoria... We are enjoying seeing the pictures of you. Glad to see that you are having lots of fun! Hope you aren't getting too cold tori. Brit I know you are loving every minute. We hope you are taking lots of pictures so we can make a scrapbook when you come home. Nik says to tell you Hi and she hopes you guys are having as much fun as she did when she was there in the racoon cabin. Uncle Mark says to tell you hello, that he loves you guys and misses you bunches too. I hope you are enjoying it and having lots of fun with all your friends. I can't wait til you get home and I can hear all the stories. We will have to email them to uncle Mark when you get home so he can read them if he has access to a computer. Have lots of fun and Try something new.. We miss you bunches and love you even more.. Uncle Mark and Auntie Car xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hello Joel!
Awesome pictures, didn't see you in tues or weds slideshow. Hope you're having a blast. Can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow. See you then bud.
Love you,
Mom & Dad